Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Mrs Seow Chye Watt V2.0: Jay (Thai) mother of Koh Tengah

Just when I thought I had completely understood Koh Tengah, I get an flurry of emails and learn that although her name (Seow Guat Eng ) as a daughter is on the tombstone of  Yeo Buay Neo, Mdm Yeo Buay Neo is not the mother.
Mr Seow Chye Watt had another wife from Thailand named Jay. Jay is the mother of Koh Tengah.

email came like this..




Hi Su Min , 

What a nice surprise. 
Yes my grand mother is Seouw Guat Eng and she is married to Chia Yee Soh. 
Seouw Guat Eng  and Seouw Guat Quee  are the half sisters of Seouw Poh Leng . 
My great grand mother is a Thai Lady married to Seouw Chye Watt her name is Jay ( she is a real Thai - very dark skin) 

The great grand father frequently goes to Thailand as he is a rice trader ., and he brought back Jay and his two daughters  Seouw Guat Eng and Seouw Guat Qui (  Seouw Guat Qui has 2 daughters and one of them lives in Penang, we call her EE Chee , she is now 90 years old ) 

Your grandma : Polly Tan Po Li comes often to no.  4 Cairnhill  Circle and I called her Jee Kim Po , she wears Nyonya Sarong and , she is very slim and elegant.   

I did not meet your grand Father Seouw Poh Leng as he passed away in 1942 (?) and I was borned in 1950. 

My mum's name is Elsie Chia Cheng Luan married to Lim Henk Wie from Batavia ( on 23rd September 1947)  . We were  borned in Indonesia   (Kris , Hedy, Wendy and Jenny) 
During Suharto time our family surname was converted to Wiluan (from Lim) . 

Here are my mum Brothers and sisters : 

 Phyllis Chia, Mary Lee/Chia, Chia Cheng Guan/Charlie ,Nelly Chia , Chia Cheng Nam /Robert, Alice Chia, Elsie Chia, Ronnie Chia , Harold Chia 
Winnie Teo and Lionel Teo ( adopted by Dr Lee Choon Neo )   

Are you John Seouw's cousin  ? My mum used to be very close to Eugene Seouw (John's father)   as they were  cousins . But after the war ,  my mum evacuated to Sydney , and then in 1947  she moved to Batavia (Jakarta ) ,  and ever since .  she lived there until she passed away on  23rd September 1993  . 

I dont know where greatgrandma Jay came from , it could be from Hajai and Seouw Chye Watt brought her back to Melaka . 
My grandma practically lived in the Kitchen when she was small , therefore she is a good cook producing many Nyonya dishes , and as a result my mum is also a good cook (with all the nyonya recipees : Ayam Buah Kluak, Kua Lada , Itik Sio , Udang sayur nanas etc etc) 

I live in Jakarta and comes over only for meetings . 

This is our family record that I can remember vividly . 

Best wishes, 

Hedy  Wiluan ( Lim Tjoei Hiang) 






----- Forwarded by Hedy Kurniawan/JKT/Citra on 13/03/2012 07:34 ----- 

Lim Su Min <limsumin@singnet.com.sg> 
Sent by: Su Min Lim <limsumin1946@gmail.com>
13/03/2012 07:16
To
hkurniaw@citratubindo.com, John Seow <seowsof128@gmail.com>
cc
Gordon Seow <gordon.seow@gmail.com>, Dr Siri <siri.khoman@gmail.com>
Subject
Re: Hello from Jakarta








Hello Hedi, 
Su Min here: 

 does my information tally with yours? Please correct 

Polly Tan was daughter of Tan Boo Liat, and granddaughter of Tan Soon Toh 

My mum Rosie Lim nee Seow was sister to Eugene Seow 
They were children of Polly Tan who married Seow Poh Leng 
That makes Seow Poh Leng my grandfather, 

Seow Poh Leng is your grandfather so that makes us cousins! 
Must get together! 



Seow Chye Watt my great grand father 
Mrs Seow Chye Watt my great grand mother: Her own name is Yeo Boey Neo. 

(tombstone record..Mrs Seow Chye Watt is Mdm Yeo (杨梅娘) had 3 sons: POH LENG (保龄Bao Ling), POH QUEE (宝贵Bao Gui) & POH SENG  (宝兴Bao Xing); Dialect (Hanyu Pinyin) 
3 daughters: Kim Neo (金娘Jin Niang) , Keng Neo (根娘Gen Niang) & Qui Neo (月娘Yue Niang); 
6 grand-sons: (秀金Xiu Jin), (顺仁Shun Ren), (秀仁Xiu Ren), (清仁Qing Ren), (友仁You Ren) & (思仁Si Ren); and 
3 grand-daughters: (月桂Yue Gui), (月清Yue Qing) & (月明Yue Ming).) 





Koh Tengah was 2nd daughter of  Yeo Boey Neo.:She is Seow Guat Eng  

月娘  (月娘Yue Niang); 

I think 萧月英= Seow Guat Eng = Xiao Yue Ying 

Seow Guat Eng married Chia Yee Soh 


I want to know about theThai connection 
Jay is the Thai mother of who? 
of Seow Guat Eng? 

meaning Seow Guat Eng is daughter of Seow Chye Watt but not Yeo Boey Neo? 
http://limsumin-bukitbrowntrails.blogspot.com/2012/02/on-identity-of-aunty-koh-tengah.html 

please clarify for me: 




Lim Su Min 

On Mar 13, 2012, at 3:24 PM, John Seow wrote: 

Dear Ko Gordon, Su Min, 

Was wondering if you could help here, in regards to "Ko Tenag".  Hedy 
is a granddaughter of her. Hedy's mum is Elsie. 

Regards 

John 

---------- Forwarded message ---------- 
From: hkurniaw@citratubindo.com 
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 23:21:05 -0400 
Subject: Fw: Hello from Jakarta 
To: seowsof128@gmail.com 

Dear John, 
Thank you for replying . 

The photo I am referring is Tan Soon Toh that he received a medal from the 
King of Thailand . 

I have also read the life story of Mrs Betty Lim Koon Teck , very sad as 
she lost her mother when she was 7 years old . Her mum "s name is Lilian 
Tan Luck Neo . 

Do you have a photo of our grandfather : Seow Poh Leng . Can you also 
remember my grandmother's name is she Seouw  Gwat Eng , and her Thai 
Mother. We can only rember her as Jay . 

Anything about the Seow family I will be interested. 

My sister Jenny will be coming over on 15th April , we will have a short 
prayer for my sister . It will be great if you can come overwith your wife 
and daughter  for 
a small makan . 

Regards, 
Hedy 
----- Forwarded by Hedy Kurniawan/JKT/Citra on 13/03/2012 00:15 ----- 

John Seow <seowsof128@gmail.com> 
12/03/2012 09:46 

To 
hkurniaw@citratubindo.com 
cc 

Subject 
Re: Hello from Jakarta 






Dear Hedi, 

Good to hear from you! So shocked /sorry to hear abour Wendy's passing. 

Sure, of course , if I have. Which particular phato are you thinking of? 

Regards, 

John 

On 3/12/12, hkurniaw@citratubindo.com <hkurniaw@citratubindo.com> wrote: 
Dear John Seow , 

How are you ? I hope you are well . This is Hedy , Auntie Elsie's 
daughter 
it has been a while since we communicate. 
My sister Wendy passed away last year on August 18th , due to Cancer . 
She 
was in stage 4  when doctor discovered her illness.. 


John , you mentioned you have some old photograph of your ancestors , is 
it possible to have a copy ? 

My new address is at  # 03-10 Soleil , 6 Sinaran Drive , Newton , 
Singapore . But I am there only once a month in lieu of biz trip , 
otherwise I am residing in Jakarta most of the time . 

I hope to hear you shortly. 
Best wishes , 

Hedy Kurniawan

No comments:

Post a Comment