Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Family Ho 何 my first walk in case!

A nice thing happened to me when I went early to prepare for the Urban Sketchers Sinagpore sketch crawl at Bukit Brown Heritage Park on Saturday 10th March 2012.  I set up my tea station and chatted to some early comers. And some of the nature society people.

Then I saw a lone figure looking lost:
 looked vaguely familiar:
I looked closer: It was a doctor colleague, Surgeon Ho Soon Teck.

"What are you doing here?" I asked as I shook his hand.

"Looking for my grandparents tomb"

"Do you come regularly?"

"Last time I was here was many years ago. It is sited near the temple here." he said, pointing at the oval.

He changed into jeans and got his hat and walking stick and went bush bashing. If the oval is a clock face and the old temple at 12 o'clock and our ole rain tree at 10 o'clock, Ho traipsed off at 9 o clock direction.
15 minutes later he came back empty handed.

"Can't find it", he said, then added "can you please come with me?"

But I was about to lead the urban sketchers so I said I was busy.
Just then a busload of school kids drew up and disembarked.

"Can you please come with me?" Ho pleaded again.
I felt bad to refuse but I declined as I had a group to lead.

"Can you please come with me?" he asked the third time, desperately: 
I sensed he was scared of "something" in the bushes. So I gave in. 
"Okay I'll come with you. " He was relieved.

He headed us to the 6 o'clock direction. Looking for twin tomb with family name Ho (何 ) and his name as grandson. He had been there before: at the foot of some big tree. We checked about 20 tombs. Nada.

We circled. Tried. Nada.
More bush bashing. More circling.
Finally after about 40 tombs we found it.



"My name there", Ho exclaims


 Happy to be reunited with grandparents.
So this was my first "walk in" case of bush bashing/ tomb hunting and I am pleased that the search was successful. 

The sketchers came and I did a brief talk, 
distributed some fact sheets and led a fast fast tour so they could have time to sketch.

This is me, Singh and Khoo Ee Hoon

 Chose to do a poster sketch of Mr Singh.


Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment