Monday, April 30, 2012

Labour Day Bush Bashing becomes Impromptu Tour

Fortified with a hearty Labour Day breakfast at Boomerang Cafe and

a serious cappuccino from Toby's Estate I was all ready for some serious bush bashing.

I got to the oval at Bukit Brown and got ready my barang barang. As I looked around for familiar faces and peeled my eyes, scanning the horizon for fallen trees I saw a family of 4 looking a bit lost.
As they wandered around looking even more "loster", I went up to them and asked "Are you here for a tour?"
"No" they replied.
"Do you have relatives here?" I asked.
"No" they replied.

So they were just vaguely interested in the place.
 I volunteered to bring them or a mini guided tour.
As they had a car we did an expanded route...
Tan Chor Nam, Tong MingHui connection
Mrs Seow Chye Watt aka Yeo Buay Neo (+ Seow Poh Quee, reference his wife Mdm Huang Shan Chiung and her father Rev Huang Nai Shong), Seow Poh Leng connection
Tan Kim Ching , ref his Changi tomb, 
       ref Anna and the King of Siam, 
       (+ Cheang Hong Lim, ref LBK trio)
Bangali Singh: Sikh guards at Chew Geok Leong's living tomb - Block 3 Division D
We chatted with voluble Tombkeeper Queenie, who says Magistrate Chew Geok Lan escaped from China to Singapore to avoid beheading. (Mrs Blackburn is Malaysian Chinese from Trengganu, Heng Hwa if I remember correctly, and understood more of the Queenie chat than I did)
Tan Boo Liat, ( Sun Yet San, KouMingTang connection)
and the Lim Quins, and the connection of Lim Boon Keng's wife Margaret Huang Tuan Keng, sister  to Mdm Huang Shan Chiung (wife of Seow Poh Quee.)
We ended at Tan Bin Ching.
They promised me copies of the photographs taken today and said they would be back.

Ms Blackburn, Mas Blackburn,                      Mrs Blackburn Mr Blackburn

Mr Blackburn is Ass Prof NIE, Humanities & Social Studies Education.

After that I did a wee bit of bush bashing between Tay Koh Yan & Fang Shan.



No comments:

Post a Comment